Monday, January 4, 2010

Last But Not Least

365/365
11:54p.m.

And so it is poetic to end the year with an image recreated from the first.

The project has been bittersweet; I would say mostly rewarding, occasionally annoying, but always worthy. While at times it felt monumental, I'm grateful I made the effort, if anything, to know exactly when we can expect to welcome the first weed of 2010 (March 15, mark your calendars, Wisconsinites).

Surely I got to know my camera, especially after the Elph experienced that horrible Death by Toddler in June and I had to rely only the Rebel the remainder of the year. I saw my children differently; pausing for a good shot forced me to step back and allow them to proceed in play independently. During these moments I became a thoughtful witness instead of a Know-It-All (you know the kind...the adults who believe they do all the teaching, the kids do the learning). I was also surprised by my own patience and dedication, demonstrated at times when my passion waned and I really wanted to throw in the digital towel. Namely, after Tom died in September.

Most importantly, I love that I have a nanosecond (or titch more) of each and every day in 2009. Some are good photographs, some lovingly say family, some will, um spark, a memory, but I own all of them as a fragmented moment of where I stood this year. Absolutely there are many, many, many wonderfully shared memories and points that we created together this year, but these 365 images are mine (ok, minus the 2 that John shot). Mine. My view, my experience, and that's wholly rewarding because, as a parent, the kids and the house and all the incredible and non-trade-worthy things that come with it all are always such a priority that I often never even check in with myself. It's in retrospect that I realize I did this year; I allowed myself to be present while capturing the moment.

It's now January 20 and I haven't touched the camera in 2o whole days. I knew I didn't have it in me for another 365 with a baby on the way this summer, but I know I'll continue to shoot and document and hopefully learn. I'm ever grateful for the encouragement along the way--the messages, the comments, the phone calls, the followers--and I hope you'll stay tuned to see what happens next.

Cheers.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your project! It has been wonderful to follow you on this journey. I will truly miss it as part of my daily computer routine. I have so many pictures I have loved so much. You will always remain my favorite photographer, because you have included my children in your picture taking world.

    Looking back at your first picture and looking at your last picture, I cannot believe the growth. Jack has obviously gone from a little guy into a full-fledged boy. It is hard to believe how much he has changed and what a joy it has been to watch him grow from an infant to a nearly 5 1/2 year old. Not only has Jack grown, but you have also grown as a photographer. You have tried new things and experimented with new ideas.

    I can't wait to see what is in store for you next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to see this end but am thrilled you recognize it as a significant accomplishment. You've done well with it and should be proud.

    Being (too!) far away, it was a pleasure to see your family grow this year and I loved every moment. I, too, will miss checking in. I will, of course, still expect you to share photos with me once in a blue moon!

    And thank you so much for including my sweet Katie in your journey. It still remains one of my favorite all time pics of her.

    I'm hoping the bouncing, beautiful baby will force you to pick up the camera often and share with us again. Kisses to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A baby? How exciting...there will certainly be some pictures in that.

    I've enjoyed the ride since I started following you in September. I feel as if I've gotten to know your family a little bit. I hope you will keep up with posting something!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi got no idea who this is but hi

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm appreciate your writing style.Please keep on working hard.^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice photo!!! =)


    OfEagles'>http://www.ofeagles.blogspot.com">OfEagles blog
    Musings'>http://www.pastowej.blogspot.com">Musings

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I love your blog. You are invited to check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete