Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Cookie Touch*



252/365**
3:43 p.m.


Holidays are the only time I break out sugar cookies. Man, we love sugar cookies, but holy cow, they're a colossal amount of work. Dough? Easy breezy. Roll out? Nothing to it. Cookie cutter pressing? A snap. Baking? Effortless. Frosting? Cinch. Really, the whole thing is darn near elementary. But it's three days of elementary because who, may I ask, has the time to start and finish this monumental project in one arduous marathon session?


So, there's a imperceptible chance that the dough was sprinkled with a grumble and the frosting smeared on with a mumbled swear. Some mom's secret baking ingredient is a spoonful of love, mine, apparently, is an expletive.


And they were damn good too.


*Only those of us subscribing to endless reruns of Sesame Street (oh new season, when will you start?) will get this.


**I took this shot on Friday, October 9, but it's posting in Saturday's position. Sorry for the mix-up.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. After years of doing as you are, holiday sugar cookies...I found one shortcut that really helped. I buy the sugar cookie mix in the bag (Betty Crocker? Duncan Hines?) and you just add butter I think? I always make them for the parents on Halloween (even now) and they taste just a good as my homemade and much quicker prep time. I roll them out and bake, make the frosting white and dump colored sugar...again, easier than trying to make all those colors of frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh... I am soooo ready to retire that one. Though I do enjoy Sandra Oh's edible looking costume and when the store guy turns into a giant cookie.

    ReplyDelete