Saturday, September 19, 2009

Uncle Tom




229/365
6:37 p.m.

This was taken on July 1 this year, and despite already having a post from that day, I need to do this now. My Uncle Tom, my mom's brother, came riding through Madison on his Harley with less than twenty-four hours notice, and we set out for a whirlwind six-hour Life Catch Up. The boys were enamoured with my uncle, the same way my brother and I were so many years ago. Tom could simultaneously hold a detailed adult conversation and interactively play with the boys....on the floor, running through the rooms, bringing out, oh no! The Claw!! The joyous shrieking and begging for more echoing throughout the house, giving in to them and all the while discussing 1920s Midwest architecture. It was perfect evening. I was wholly present that night, soaking up the conversation, laughing genuinely, listening and sharing intently.

I will be ever grateful he included us on his US motorcycle tour and to those who came to my babysitting rescue later in the evening. I heard from my mom on Thursday evening. Uncle Tom suddenly and unexpectedly passed away. Our hearts are broken. We feel shattered. And we're fumbling in our grief.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Jen-I am so sorry for your loss, and so glad you had a chance to spend some time with him. What a blessing it is that you have a picture of him with your beautiful children. It will help them remember the fun they had. You will be in my thoughts.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic photo....everyone looks so happy which is the way it should be with family around.

    ReplyDelete