Sunday, August 9, 2009

Support For Food Allergies



225/365


Various moments throughout the morning


We have been members of the Food Allergy Association of Wisconsin since Jack was diagnosed with peanut allergy in 2006. If you knew me then, you could see I was a wreck. However, after some time and a whole lot of education, we've become a calm force in the allergy circle. Jack's fish allergy was diagnosed in 2007, cats in 2008, and dogs, trees, and ragweed in 2009. We carry two EpiPens with us wherever Jack roams, a MedicAlert bracelet adorns his wrist, and I'm able to propel toward him at the onset of three or more consecutive coughs or sneezes. I'm damn near robotic in my swift, yet thorough, allergy body scan. We have a ginormous list of Do's and Don'ts, Can's and Can'ts, Safe and Not Safe, and we follow them religiously. On a scale of 0-22 on how strict we adhere to The Plan, we're roughly about 30. That said, we are determined to make Jack's life as whi-hoo and normal as we can. The only thing we really lack is spontaneity and baseball games.....I'm still in a Hell No stage there.

These shots are from the annual Food Allergy Association of Wisconsin's Walk and Expo. Good times even in a downpour.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting patiently for your pics from the big event. They are glorious - I love all of the bright colors! Glad it was such a great time. Peanuts do not stand a chance against the Lucas Family fight. : )

    ReplyDelete