Friday, August 28, 2009

The Possibilites


208/365
7:16am

There is nothing like a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. The tip needs to just have a little bit of give to it, so it won't break off in a streak of charcoal, and the eraser needs to have approximately two uses to have perfectly clean pink crumbly goodness. I actually get excited when I find a pencil buried in the drawer that meets these criteria, excited like hidden-treasure-in-the-olden-days-cereal-box kind of excited. Because all of sudden what I am about to write will no longer be mundane. It's a fresh start. A clean slate. A tabula rasa, if you will. It will have purpose and greatness in that tip and eraser. The novel will come together. The poem will be perfect. By the grace of God, the grocery list will be complete.

What will you write?

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. That is an awesome photo. How did you even do that?

    I would probably write a letter to my kids for them to open when they were adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a new blogger, I am using the "next blog" button on my quest for blogs to follow. I find that I can skip most, read a sentence or two on others and every once in a while, I stop and truly read. Your pencil art caught my eye, and I also get that same rush of joy when I have that perfect pencil (or the 64 box of crayons).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic photo and perfect timing as I'm starting to see all of the kiddies in the neighborhood shuffling to school. Makes me wonder - are those brand new back packs filled with newly sharpened pencils....or just laptops, cell phones and i-pods?

    ReplyDelete