Sunday, July 19, 2009

No Peeling Necessary


203/365
5:17pm

Found these sweet, precious jewels of Mr. McGregor's nestled in our CSA box. And out of no where it reminded me of a square, fairly blanched photograph with rounded corners of my mother standing in our first backyard. She had six-month-old me clinging to her left hip and left arm wrapping me securely in place, while the other is flaunting her carrot trophies in a firm, triumphant grasp. The sun is high and in back of the photographer; we're both squinting and casting a short shadow. I haven't laid eyes on this actual picture in decades, but as I held these carrots by their leafy shoots like my mom did, I immediately flashed to that scene. In my brain pipes, as Jack would say.

I wonder what small things in life, like a bunch of carrots, will jog the boys' memories in 30+ years.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I vaguely remember that picture except the carrots above look a whole lot better than the rabbit food of 30+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete