Friday, February 6, 2009

Shoot


37/365
1:59pm

Behold! The first Canon EOS Rebel! Oh, how I loved this camera. My parents had it delivered to our house Christmas Eve 1991 (well before one click shopping) and even upgraded the lens to a Sigma 28-135mm....Best.Christmas.Gift.Ever. I had no idea what I was doing. I took rolls and rolls of film, mostly of my parents, brother, and dog. I once attempted a really horrible still life on the basement shelf with a matted, grimy teddy bear, some musty European history books, a filmy, free-with-flower-purchase vase, all with a glaring workspace flood light casting harsh, offending shadows. I managed to make that scene worse than had I just left those poor, defenseless objects alone. Can't win 'em all.

I stumbled across my nearly obsolete 35mm gem a couple months ago. I asked the guys at the camera store what I could expect on a trade-in: the first Canon EOS Rebel! Come on! With a Sigma lens! After a polite head shake and sympathetic eyebrow raise, they suggested I donate it to a high school photography class. Not wanting to believe it, I looked at a couple online recycling companies who give you cash for your camera. Best offer: $3.50 for the camera, $10 for the lens. Sigh. I'll soon be contacting West High School.

Maybe Jack will be inspired in the meantime.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Or you could start an "old" camera collection you could put on display. Maybe the history museum is in need of donations. :-)

    ReplyDelete